History of First Christian
Church
The first mention of a Disciples
Church in Belton was made in the Gospel
Advocate, which reported "Minutes" of the
1856 meeting of West Texas Cooperation, sent in
by Brother Henry Thomas --
"... Met at Austin 10-22-56.
Officers were Elder A. Newman, President;
Elder H. Thomas, Secretary; William Simpson,
Treasurer. Representatives ... Belton, Bell
County, none. (additions)"
For some years after the war
there was no denominational church in Belton,
and different church societies held services on
alternate Sundays in the Court House or at some
other place mutually arranged for the purpose.
About 1870, the Methodists erected a separate
building. Until then all denominations had
worked together in a Union Sunday School.
A notation in the Gospel
Advocate of February 29, 1877, stated that
"a few miles to the west of Temple at Belton, C.
W. Sewell established (probably
're-established') a small congregation, mostly
of women who were willing to work." The
Christians worshipped in the "Old Union Church"
on the lot where the First Texas Bank is now
located.
In 1882, the house of worship
was destroyed by fire and in 1884 a Ladies Aid
Society was organized and went earnestly to work
soliciting funds and collected funds for the
first church. A lot on Penelope Street was
purchased in 1885. The congregation erected a
house of worship on Penelope and 3rd Avenue with
a seating capacity of 350. The first services
were held in September 1887. The first regular
pastor, so far as is known, was S. K. Hallum.

First House of
Worship
First services
were held here in September 1887.
Church building
was located at the corner of North Penelope and
East 3rd Avenue.
Around the turn of the century M. S. Dunning was
the pastor. It was at this time that the church
purchased property on Penelope Street and built
a brick parsonage. "The active membership is
about 150 and includes some of the most
influential citizens in Belton. The regular
Lord's Day services and the midweek prayer
meetings are well attended and the church is
growing in numbers and influence." (The
Journal Reporter, 1900)
Two of the strongest pastors in the church's
long history served between 1908 and 1916,
Brothers W. M. Williams and E. C. Boynton.
During Brother Williams' pastorate the church
acquired property on the Square for a new
church, since the congregation had outgrown the
old church. The reason for the choice of this
site was the pastor's philosophy of taking the
church to where the people were. The property,
which had been the site of an opera house that
burned in 1904, was purchased from D. R. and
Julia Pendleton on December 2, 1908, for $5100.
Just prior to its purchase by the church, the
one story building was occupied by Misstrot's
Dry Goods Store. The church worshipped there for
awhile just as it was when used by the store.
During this interim, furnishings from the old
church were used. While the building was being
extensively remodeled in 1910, the congregation
worshipped in the District Courtroom on the
third floor of the courthouse. The sanctuary was
built with a balcony on three sides which was
equipped with the opera chairs from the old
church on Penelope Street. Large plate glass
windows made up the whole front wall of the
church. Nineteen stained glass memorial an gift
windows were placed around the upper wall along
the balcony.

Opera House in background burned in 1904.
Changed then into a one-story building housing
Mistrot's Dry Goods Store.

Church building in 1912. Exterior of the church
as it appeared from 1910 until it was remodeled
in 1948. (Note the plate glass windows and the
pastor's horse and buggy)
For a more detailed history from 1856-1966,
please contact the church office.